As men and women age, our bodies go through significant changes to maintain good health it requires a specific mixture of vitamins and minerals. Headlines across the globe espouse the importance of healthy eating, exercise, and taking vitamins regularly.But venturing into a vitamin shop or health food store presents us with a wall of products.Choosing what’s best is nearly impossible.It’s a fact that the essential vitamins and minerals for over 50s are different than those for younger people. Let’s try to make things easier.
Vitamins and minerals for over 50s, or for anyone, should only be taken if you need them. More is not always better. Certain minerals, like iron or selenium are beneficial in low doses, but can be dangerous if you ingest too much. Talk to your doctor and get blood work done instead of just loading up with jars of every vitamin or mineral you heard was good.
Men and Women Over 50 – Some Common Ground
Wait. Don’t men and women have different needs?
Yes. Women over 50 often require different levels than men of the same age.
And yet, some things we can all gain from. A green superfood supplement, made from the best ingredients, provides universal benefits. When a supplement contains ingredients like spirulina, bilberry, milk thistle, spinach, kale, grape seed extract and ginger (among others) it helps over 50s guard and fight against cancer, arthritis, fibromyalgia, heart disease, macular degeneration, cataracts, and a host of other problems that can affect men and women alike.
Vitamins and Minerals Important for Over 50s
This is a general list and you may not need all of them. So consult your doctor (so as not to overdose) and consider a natural green vegetable supplement over and above separate pills.
- B12: Crucial for brain health and motor functions. As we age, our bodies absorb only up to 30% of the B12 found in our food, so a supplement is important.
- Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium: When it comes to vitamins and minerals for over 50s, these three are some of the more important ones. They promote bone health, strength and density.
- Vitamin K: Good for the body’s synthesis of proteins needed to coagulate the blood and prevent bruising. This vitamin may interfere with blood thinners so talk to your doctor before you start taking it.
- B2: Helps your body access energy from food.
- B6: An immune booster that helps cells grow and helps convert tryptophan to produce niacin.
- Folic Acid: Promotes healthy cells and helps protect against potential cancer-producing cells.
- Vitamin C/Selenium: Both boost immunity. Low doses of selenium can ward off colon, prostate, and lung cancer.
- Vitamin E: Helps your body fend off the formation of bad cholesterol.
- Potassium/Magnesium: Two of the best minerals when it comes to keeping blood pressure in check.
- Chromium and Zinc: These regulate blood sugar and stimulate insulin production. Zinc also metabolizes fat, protein and carbohydrates.
- Vitamin A: Essential for vision.
- Iron: Helps carry oxygen through blood cells.
Simplicity in Stirring
Swallowing a pile of pills is no fun, especially as we get older. We also want to spend less time reading labels and preparing mixtures, if at all possible. Convenience is good. Besides, there’s little health difference across all the separate chewable, soluble or liquid vitamins and minerals.
Stirring Mother Nature’s best natural vegetables into a glass of water or juice makes life so much more convenient while also providing a huge boost of essential vitamins and minerals. It’s natural stuff, as opposed to the pills and liquids processed in a “Big Pharma” factory.
So, choosing vitamins and minerals for over 50s needn’t be as hard as rocket science. A good vegetable-based superfood supplement can give men and women over 50 much of what they need.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Photon Superfuel and a clickable link back to this page.